Dating in york
It stands almost on the site of porta principalis dextra, the north western gate of Eboracum.
The rectangle of walls was built as part of the fort's defences.It was the last of the bars to lose its barbican, which was removed in 1835.This four-storey gatehouse is the tallest and most elaborate of the four, and was built in the early 14th century.It was constructed as part of a series of eight similar defensive towers.The walls are almost certainly the creation of Septimius Severus; however, the Multangular Tower is probably a later addition of Constantine the Great around 310–320 AD.Barker Tower was once linked by a chain across the river, parallel to the 19th-century Lendal Bridge.
A small stretch of wall then leads to the entrance to Museum Gardens, the Multangular Tower and the original line of the Roman walls.
The foundations and the line of about half of these Roman walls form part of the existing walls, as follows: The line of the rest of the Roman wall went south-west from the east corner, crossing the via principalis of the fortress where King's Square is now located.
The south corner was in what is now Feasegate, and from here the wall continued northwest to the west corner.
York has, since Roman times, been defended by walls of one form or another.
To this day, substantial portions of the walls remain, and York has more miles of intact wall than any other city in England.
The point where the wall crossed the via praetoria is marked by a plaque in St Helen's Square near the Mansion House.